What is solar? Solar water heating systems = Solar panels + solar energy. Solar thermal: solar power & solar hot water. Solar subsidy UK. CECB = RHI + FIT.
Solar Panels – Solartwin Solar Panel Technology Basics
Some background and basic information about solar PV panels and solar water heating.
A – There are two main kinds of solar technology.
- Solar water heating = SWH = solar thermal water heating = solar heating. This delivers hot water via pipes. The heat energy can be stored in hot water stores.
- Solar photovoltaics = Solar PV = solar electricity. This delivers electricity via electrical cables. The electrical energy can sometimes be stored in batteries.
Solar technologies sollect solar energy using various types of solar panels.
B – What kinds of solar panel are there? There are therefore two main kinds of solar panel to collect the solar energy.
- Solar water heating uses solar collectors = solar heating panels. Types of solar collectors there are tubes and plate collectors. Within the plates there are metal and freeze tolerant plates.
- Solar photovoltaics uses solar modules = PV panels. Types of PV panel technologies include thin film, mono- or poly-crystalline and hybrid.
The costs benefits of solar technologies depend on initial costs, operational costs, life expectancy and subsidies. So what solar subsidies are there in UK?
C – There are two main different solar panel subsidy schemes in UK, both operating under the heading of Clean Energy Cashback = CECB
- The Solar water heating subsidy is the Renewable Heat Incentive (RHI Scheme)
- The Solar photovoltaics subsidy is the Feed in Tariffs (FIT Scheme)
Both CECB programmes, RHI and FIT, are funded by the UK Department of Energy and Climate Change (DECC). FIT budget is £360M. RHI budget is £860M. How does CECB work?
D – Basically, under CECB you get a yearly payment for 10-25 years depending on your chosen solar panel installation and its particular technology. The sum paid per year depends on how much energy it delivers. Generally the bigger the better. More details of CECB / FIT / RHI are on this site.